From Drugs Prescribing Information
|Click on "►" to expand:|
 BRAND NAMES
 MECHANISM OF ACTION
- Hypothyroidism: As replacement or supplemental therapy in congenital or acquired hypothyroidism of any etiology, except transient hypothyroidism during the recovery phase of subacute thyroiditis.
- Pituitary TSH suppression in the treatment and prevention of euthyroid goiters (abnormal enlargement of the thyroid gland) and in the management of thyroid cancer
- Acute myocardial infarction
- Patients with uncorrected adrenal insufficiency since thyroid hormones may precipitate an acute adrenal crisis by increasing the metabolic clearance of glucocorticoids
 PREGNANCY AND LACTATION
 SIDE EFFECTS
- General: fatigue, increased appetite, weight loss, heat intolerance, fever, excessive sweating.
- Central nervous system: headache, hyperactivity, nervousness, anxiety, irritability, emotional lability, insomnia.
- Cardiovascular: Palpitations, tachycardia, angina, cardiac arrest
- Dermatologic: Allergic skin reactions, partial loss of hair in first few months of therapy in children
- Gastrointestinal: diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal cramps and elevations in liver function tests
- Endocrine: decreased bone mineral density;
- Reproductive: menstrual irregularities, impaired fertility
 RELATED LINKS