BRAND NAMES
- Egypt: Akne-Mycin PI
- France: Stimycine
- Germany: Stiemycine
- Italy: Eryacne
- New Zealand: Eryacne PI
- Erygel, Eryacnen, Eryaknen, Inderm, Stiemycin
 MECHANISM OF ACTION
Erythromycin is a macrolide antibiotic produced by Streptomyces erythraeus. it binds to the 50S ribosomal subunit, inhibiting bacterial protein synthesis.
Erythromycin penetrates into the ducts of the sebaceous glands of the skin and unflods its specific effect at this site against bacterias which are involved in the development of acne.
- Acne treatment, particularly inflammatory forms with papules and pustules.
Apply to the affected skin parts, morning and evening.
- Hypersensitivity to erythromycin (an allergic reaction may include a rash or itching)
 WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS
- Erythromycin (Topical) should not come into contact with the eyes, lips, nose, open wounds and mucous membranes. If accidental contact occurs, rinse thoroughly with water.
- Concomitant use of cosmetic products containing alcohol or abrasives or medicated soaps may cause a cumulative irritant or drying effect.
- Because of the competitive binding for the 50S ribosomal subunits, Erythromycin (Topical) and clindamycin (Topical) preparations should not be used concomitantly.
- Concomitant topical acne therapy should be used with caution because a cumulative irritant effect may occur, especially with the use of peeling desquamating or abrasive agents.
 PREGNANCY AND LACTATION
The safe use of topical Erythromycin during pregnancy or lactation has not been established.
 SIDE EFFECTS
Possible adverse effects include dryness, tenderness, pruritus, desquamation, erythema, oiliness and burning sensation. Usually the effects are not serious and happen at the start of treatment.
 RELATED LINKS
|Oral antibiotics||Clindamycin (Oral route) • Doxycycline • Erythromycin (Oral route) • Josamycin • Lymecycline • Minocycline • Tetracycline|
|Topical antibiotics||Clindamycin (Topical) • Erythromycin (Topical)|
|Topical retinoids||Adapalene • Tazarotene • Tretinoin|
|Oral retinoids||Isotretinoin (Oral)|
|Oral contraceptives||Estradiol valerate/Dienogest • Ethinyl Estradiol/Cyproterone acetate|
|Topical Antibacterial/Keratolytic||Benzoyl peroxide • Hydrogen Peroxide Cream|
|Topical combination products||Clindamycin/Benzoyl peroxide • Adapalene/Benzoyl peroxide • Clindamycin/Tretinoin • Miconazole/Benzoyl peroxide • Erythromycin/Benzoyl peroxide • Erythromycin/Isotretinoin|