| Click on "►" to expand:|
 BRAND NAMES
- Germany: Budecort
- International: Miflonide
- Italy: Miflo
- Tunisia: Budiair
- U.S.: Pulmicort Flexhaler PI
 MECHANISM OF ACTION
Budesonide (Inhaler) is an inhaled glucocorticoid, it works in the air passages of the lungs by reducing inflammation and keeping the airways open, making it easier to breathe.
Glucocorticoids have multiple antiinflammatory effects, inhibiting both inflammatory cells and release of inflammatory mediators.
- To PREVENT shortness of breath or asthma. It won't give a fast relief once an acute bronchospasm attack has started.
- Adult and elderly: 200 to 1600 micrograms each day in divided doses.
- Children 6 to 17 years of age: 200 to 800 micrograms each day in divided doses.
- Allergy to any medicine containing budesonide
- Acute asthma attacks
 WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS
- Monitor growth in children with long-term use
- Rinse mouth with water to prevent oral cadidiasis
- Immediate and delayed hypersensitivity reactions including rash, contact dermatitis, urticaria, angioedema, and bronchospasm have been reported. Discontinue the drug if such reactions occur.
- Potential worsening of existing tuberculosis, fungal, bacterial, viral, or parasitic infections, or ocular herpes simplex
- Increased susceptibility to respiratory infections
- Decreases in bone mineral density (BMD) have been observed with long-term administration of products containing inhaled corticosteroids
- Will not relieve acute asthma attacks
- Glaucoma and cataracts: Close monitoring is warranted.
- Paradoxical bronchospasm may occur. Treat bronchospasm immediately with a fast-acting inhaled bronchodilator (Salbutamol) and discontinue Budesonide (Inhaler).
 PREGNANCY AND LACTATION
- Pregnancy category B. Should be used during pregnancy only if clearly needed
 SIDE EFFECTS
May cause infection of the mouth and throat (rinsing your mouth and gargling with water after using the inhaler may avoid such inconvenience), headache, hoarse voice, dry irritated throat, bad taste, thirst, cough and tiredness.
Rare side effects may include the folowing: skin rash, nervousness, restlessness, depression and bronchospasm.