BRAND NAMES
- International: Antiflat, Disflatyl, Espumisan, Imogas, Imonogas, Infacol, Lefax, Minifom, Mylicon, Ovol, Sab simplex
- Imodium Plus, Imodium Advanced, Imodium akut, Imodium complex, Imodium Multi-Sympton Relief, Imodiumduo
 MECHANISM OF ACTION
Simeticone is a physiologically inert substance, which is therefore pharmacologically inactive.
Simethicone increases the rate at which gas bubbles exit the body, by decreasing surface tension, causing them to combine into larger bubbles that can be passed more easily.
- Simeticone is used to relieve flatulence and bloating commonly referred to as gas.
- In preparation for image-producing diagnostic examinations
- Simeticone is also used to relieve infant colic, frequently caused by air swallowing or certain formulas or foods
- 40-80 mg three to five times daily (after meals and at bedtime). Up the 240mg three times daily can be taken.
- infants under 2 years: 20 mg after meals and at bedtime , may be repeated as needed or as directed by a physician. Do not exceed 12 doses per day.
- children over 2 years: 40 mg after meals and at bedtime , may be repeated as needed or as directed by a physician. Do not exceed 12 doses per day.
Hypersensitivity to simeticone or to any of the excipients
If the symptoms persist or worsen, or in the event of prolonged constipation, the patient should seek medical advice.
 PREGNANCY AND LACTATION
Simethicone is safe during pregnancy and lactation
 SIDE EFFECTS
It is very unusual for Simethicone to cause any side-effects