BRAND NAMES
 MECHANISM OF ACTION
Ambroxol is an active N-desmethyl metabolite of mucolytic bromhexine. Ambroxol increases the quantity and decrease the viscosity of respiratory tract secretions. These actions result in improved mucus flow and transport (mucociliary clearance), facilitates expectoration and eases cough.
Ambroxol has also anti-inflammatory properties owing to the inhibitory effect on the production of cellular cytokines and arachidonic acid metabolites.
- Productive cough
- Acute and chronic bronchopulmonary diseases associated with abnormal mucus secretion and impaired mucus transport
- Inflammatory diseases of the rhinopharyngeal tract (i.e. laryngitis, pharyngitis, sinusitis, rhinitis) associated with viscid mucus
- Adults and children over 12 yrs: 30mg 3 times daily or 60mg 2 times
- Pediatric dosage:
- Children 6 - 12 years: 30mg 2 - 3 times daily.
- Children 2 - 5 years: 15mg 3 times daily.
- Known hypersensitivity to Ambroxol or Bromhexine.
- Children under 2 years of age as there is a risk of worsening the airway congestion.
 WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS
- Ambroxol should be given cautiously to patients with gastric and duodenal ulceration, convulsive disorders and hepatic and renal insufficiency
 PREGNANCY AND LACTATION
- Pregnancy: Ambroxol crosses the placental barrier. The usual precautions regarding the use of drugs during pregnancy should be observed. Especially during the first trimester, the use of ambroxol is not recommended especially during the 1st trimester.
- Lactation: Ambroxol is excreted in breast milk. Although unfavourable effects on breastfed infants would not be expected, ambroxol is not recommended for use in nursing mothers and should be used only if absolutely necessary
 SIDE EFFECTS
Gastrointestinal side effects like abdominal pain and heartburn may occur occasionally. Rarely allergic responses such as eruption, urticaria or angioneurotic edema have been reported.
 RELATED LINKS
|Antitussives / Cough|
|Cough suppressants||Benzonatate • Butamirate • Codeine • Dextromethorphan • Dihydrocodeine • Dropropizine • Levocloperastine • Levodropropizine • Nepinalone • Oxolamine|
|Mucolytics||Acetylcysteine • Ambroxol (Oral) • Bromhexine • Carbocisteine • Erdosteine • Guaifenesin • Neltenexine|